Pages

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Tiny, Jumping, Biting Blood Suckers...Pet Parasites Part III: Fleas and Ticks

Fleas and ticks, oh my!

Fleas and ticks are the most annoying and the most prevalent blood-sucking pest that makes us and our pets miserable.

No worries these pesky bugs are preventable and controllable.

My pet had fleas/ticks now what?
You could use OTC pet products to treat your pet and home. 
However often these products can be very toxic and expensive if you must have multiple treatments.

For the home:
Tick/Flea Traps
Tick/Flea Bombs
Flea Carpet Powder   
Flea Spray

For your pet:
Tick/Flea Powder
Tick/Flea Spray
Tick/Flea Collar
Monthly Tick/Flea Treatments
Tick/Flea Shampoo

Always read labels thoroughly before using any product with toxins!

How about home remedies?
Excellent question and there are many available.  Just google "natural flea/tick control" and I'm sure you will find loads of tips and tricks. Before trying any home remedy do your research extensively by checking with more then one source or check with your veterinarian.

Personally my regimen is as follows:

Weekly/Bi-Weekly bathe my pets with Dawn Dishwashing Soap. If their fur or skin dries out too much I alternate with a natural pet shampoo/conditioner
Use a flea comb during daily grooming. 
Vacuum daily.
I use a herbal flea/tick spray every other day.   
Use cedar chips in my pet's bedding.
Check for ticks if my pets have been in high grass or forested areas. Use tweezers!

With this regimen never really had any issues with fleas or ticks ^_^

I have heard about giving brewer yeast or garlic capsules orally to your pets to keep away fleas/ticks. Never tried it myself but if you do make sure you read labels and give correct dosages. If your not sure always refer to your veterinarian.

Salt/Baking Soda
Spread liberally on carpets and vacuum after 30 minutes or so.

Use cedar chips in your yard and keep your grass short and your bushes and trees trimmed.

I don't advise using outside yard flea/tick treatments. Way to toxic for not only your pets but you as well. Even if you wait the allotted time before heading outside that poison will still be around and its just not good for the environment. 

Pet Parasites Part I: Tapeworms! Is That Rice On my Dog's Butt?


Pet Parasites Part II: Those Other Pesky Worms





Get Rid Of Fleas For Good


Oh the Uber fleas.....



No comments:

Post a Comment