Pages

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Is That Rice On My Dog's Butt?! Pet Parasites Part I: Tapeworms

Is that rice on my dog's butt?!.........

So when I first got Milo at 12 weeks of age I noticed his tummy was a little swollen. A couple days later I noticed some dried out white "rice" segments near is butt. That same day I mustered the courage to looked at his poo and low and behold I knew my puppy had them......Tapeworms! Oh the horror.....


What are tapeworms?
Long, flat parasitic worms that attach themselves to your pet's intestines. There are different types of tapeworms with different hosts (fleas, rodents, etc.) 

How does your pet get tapeworms?
Simply from eating a flea from grooming or consuming a infected rodent, like that squirrel that constantly taunts your dog or cat.

What are the symptoms of my pet having tapeworms?
The most noticeable would be finding those little rice-like segments on your dog's or cat's tush. You can find the little parasites in your pet's poo. Most pets act normal and healthy otherwise. Is your pet scooting around on their butt? Sorry but that is not a definitive symptom of tapeworms. Best bet is finding physical evidence of the worms or have your veterinarian test for them in a stool sample. 

Treatment for tapeworms?
Just about any place that sells pet supplies should have a dewormer that is specifically made for the treatment of tapeworms. Please read the package before you just grab just any dewormer. Dewormers are made for specific parasitic worms not just tapeworms but also for roundworms, hookworms, etc. Get the one that says for tapeworms. You can also get tapeworm dewormer from your veterinarian. Dewormer varies in prices from under $5 upwards to over $20 depending on where you get it from. Warning! Make sure your pet is old enough to take dewormer and know his weight for proper dosage. Always read the label before ever giving your pet any type of medication.

What about natural homemade remedies for tapeworms?
There is a lot out there such things as pumpkin seeds, wormwood, cloves, etc. that seemingly have some effect on tapeworms however I do not recommend it. Get advice from a holistic veterinarian before you try any sort of natural home remedy. My personal take just don't do it. You could make your pet sick without proper administration from a trained holistic veterinarian.

Back to little Milo, at 6 months old he is free of tapeworms. I went with the OTC tapeworm dewormer for treatment. Took care of the little buggers pretty quickly. I just keep a eye on his poo and keep him flea free to make sure their are no more re-infestations.




1 comment:

  1. Based on the some details I read in the Vets Somerset, there are different types of worm that our dog can get and one of them was the tapeworm. I decide to read some articles that tackled this topic, but the blog is the one I truly like because of the information I saw here. Your article gives a lot of information about tapeworm and I wish you would post more new updates. For more information please visit this link: http://wellpets.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete